Serendipity leads to new Regional Coordinator!

 The connections made while managing the Wrap-A-Smile project continue to amaze me. A few weeks ago I was asked to speak about WAS at a quilters' retreat in Kennebunk, Maine.  Since we are all limiting our social engagements during these COVID times, I hesitated.....but knew my host well and understood that I would be speaking at a distance, to a very small group, in a very large room.  So I trusted my instincts and accepted the invitation.  And I'm so glad I did!  At the end of my talk, up walked Paige Curtis - and, drumroll here! - WAS has a new Regional Coordinator!


Please meet Paige, in her own words:

Hello Wrap-A-Smile friends,

I am Paige Curtis, a quilter, a mom, a teacher, and a fan of wild colors and reaching out to help others.  My family and I recently moved to southern New Hampshire and while at a quilt camp I was introduced to Ann and Wrap-A-Smile.

I started making quilts back in the 90's. I didn't really know what I was doing but created some treasures, if only for the memories they carry!  Quilting took a back seat as my three little charges grew up.  As the wife of a career Air Force pilot and military attache, I have lived, taught school and volunteered in five foreign countries and all around the U.S. And I found quilters in each and every place! In 2010 I started quilting again, taking classes, reading books, and learning from each quilter that I met in our adventures.

I was also involved in volunteering and mission work in each place we were stationed: Japan, Honduras, Ecuador, Bolivia and Mexico. I recognize the importance of what volunteer medical teams do as they travel the world helping others, all the while representing the good that America stands for.  My next goal is to participate with one of these life-changing mission trips, where quilts are shared and smiles are restored.

I'm pleased to begin working with Ann and the Wrap-A-Smile team, and look forward to meeting and working with you as we begin to ramp up again after this strange season of life.  

Take care and stay healthy, ~Paige  

Paige will be collecting quilts for the New England area.  She can be reached at wrapasmilene@gmail.com.  Having Paige join us is a wonderful expansion for WAS as I am in the midst of moving to North Carolina where I will continue as the national director of Wrap-A-Smile. ~Ann

With international missions still on hold, any quilts received for WAS will be safely stored until we can ship to a medical team. In the meantime, WAS is looking for initiatives within the U.S. that fit with our mission statement of providing comfort quilts for people receiving Rotary-related medical treatment, with emphasis on surgeries for children. We have quilters eager to share their creations.  Please forward ideas to quilts7780@gmail.com.



Comments

  1. A big welcome to Paige! Many thanks for volunteering to be the new regional coordinator. Perhaps someday we'll meet in person!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to hear you've joined Ann's team! Members of the Sunshine On-line Quilt Guild are on stand-by for a better and brighter Rotary medical mission future after the tough year of 2020. Lots of comfort quilts in store for kids everywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.