A New Hampshire Road Trip

What a wonderful few days I had recently in New Hampshire, meeting new and old friends, and promoting Wrap-A-Smile.

First stop was Seabrook, NH, where Friends and Stitches meets every Tuesday at the Seabrook Library to sew charity quilts.  They choose a different charity every year, and this year the lucky recipient is Wrap-A-Smile.  I expected to see fabric and whirring machines, but instead they put aside their projects for a day to host me and share a luncheon.

My typical presentation starts with a brief introduction about Rotary International, then describes a Rotaplast mission (using my photos from the Togo mission in 2011 when my husband and I were part of the team), and then moves on to the story of the quilts.  Interestingly, three different ladies shared stories with me about family members or friends who had repaired clefts, a good reminder that it really does still occur here in the U.S.

What really surprised me was the comment that in their many years of sewing comfort quilts, Wrap-A-Smile is the first to come visit in person and share the story from start to finish.  Understanding the history of WAS, and seeing the "life of a quilt" from its creation to actually wrapping a patient during their surgery seemed to really energize everyone.  It was truly a pleasure to accept their invitation to speak and I am so glad we connected.  They have promised me a carload of quilts when their quilting year ends in October!

Friends and Stitches, Seabrook, New Hampshire

Next stop was Hancock, NH, to visit my longtime friend Sandy T who doesn't sew but who has a great network of interesting friends.  Through her I wrangled an invite to speak at the Hancock Woman's Group, a local civic group which shares many of the projects and ideals of Rotary. While waiting for that event, a knock on the door brought friend Linda O, head of the Monadnock Quilters' Guild whom I had met last fall. The next 5 pictures are quilts gifted by her guild to WAS. I hope we will be lucky to see these wonderful quilts in action when the mission photojournalists write their blogs in the months ahead.


(Yes, all those circles are hemmed and hand appliquéd)








Finally it was my privilege to talk to the Hancock Woman's Grouptheir first presentation since November that wasn't cancelled due to snow.  A happy surprise for me was the attendance of our daughter's 3rd grade teacher and husband (from Massachusetts) who have retired to the neighboring town.  An elegant tea (in real teacups) was served and there was discussion as to how they might support our project.  While they were not a group of quilters, everyone seems to know someone who is, and word-of-mouth continues to grow our network.

Some of Wrap-A-Smile's new friends in Hancock, NH


Thank you to my new and old friends who made my road trip so enjoyable and who are helping us provide our Wrap-A-Smile quilts. Goodness abounds! 




















Comments

  1. Welcome and thank you to our partners, both old and new! I really love seeing the beautiful quilts made by MQG.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.