A quilting journey


One of the joys for me managing the Wrap-A-Smile project has been the pleasure of meeting new friends who are committed to making the world a better place - one stitch, one block, one finished quilt at a time.  I have found the quilters in our network, who come from a variety of backgrounds,  to be not only generous but creative and witty.  I often learn from them about life in general.  In today's blog I would like to introduce my friend Louise who keeps a smile on my face.  I know you will find her quilting story both fascinating and inspiring.  ~Ann


Thank you for inviting me to share my journey, Ann! And it is quite literally a journey, since my husband and I live full time aboard our boat, Vector. We have no fixed residence and primarily cruise the waters of the eastern United States and the Bahamas.



My little sewing studio is crammed into the guest stateroom, with fabric and notions tucked into every nook and cranny. I learned to quilt about four years ago when we were already living aboard, so I've never had much space to sew. Early on I figured out that smaller quilts were a better fit for my lifestyle, and I made baby quilts and lap quilts for everyone I could think of.



Because we rarely stay in a port for more than a few weeks, I've had to rely on the internet for my quilting community. Through YouTube, eBay, and blogs I've been able to learn new techniques, purchase fabric, and connect with other quilters. And in my online journey, I've always found myself drawn to the work of quilters who sew for charities.



Before we lived on our boat, my husband and I were very active in the American Red Cross. We volunteered across the country to help with relief after major disasters. We had to reduce our involvement while boating, and we both missed that opportunity to give back. When I discovered the world of charity quilting, I knew I had found my tribe! I'm now a member of the Sunshine Online Quilt Guild, which supports Wrap-A-Smile as one of its main charities. WAS, with its emphasis on small, bright quilts for children, is the perfect match for my nautical quilting life.



I love making these little quilts for little people. Undergoing surgery is big and scary, so any comfort we can offer these kids is so important. I'm so honored to be a small part of the complex organization it takes to send doctors, supplies and hope to these children.



Thank you for inviting me to share my story. If you'd like to see more of my quilts, I'd be tickled if you visited my blog.



Comments

  1. Thank you Louise! So glad we connected through the Sunshine Guild. And thank you so very much for your creativity and generosity - you are wrapping our little cleft children in quilted happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Louise! I love your bright and cheerful quilts. I'm sure the children love them, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louise - your quilts are always wonderful and I so admire the way you manage to quilt aboard Vector.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great quilts come from small places! You always amaze me with what you do and give away.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.