Our Sunshine connection

It is with great pleasure that I introduce my friend Carol who directs Sunshine Online Quilt Guild.  Her guild is a storehouse of positive energy, creative collaboration and support of humanitarian causes.  Wrap-A-Smile is forever thankful to be a recipient of so much generosity from guild members. ~Ann


Honoring My Dad – Discovering Wrap a Smile  by Carol Egan
My dad died in January, 2002. He had been an active and well-loved Rotarian, and I wanted a way to honor his memory. At about that time I found out about Wrap a Smile (WAS). As it was affiliated with Rotary, it seemed like the perfect way to honor my dad.
I asked my on-line guild, Sunshine Quilt Guild, to help. We got busy making quilts and ended up making 66 quilts for WAS in memory of my dad. I also asked for help from the Rotary Club of which my dad had been a member. They offered to help pay for shipping of quilts to Maine as long as they were made in honor of my dad. That was a big help.
A few Sunshine members had already donated to Wrap a Smile, but through my request for help, more Sunshine members became aware of it, and we fell in love with WAS. We have continued to donate generously to WAS ever since. After a few years we decided to designate two programs to which we regularly donate quilts. Wrap a Smile has always been one of them. We have donated many hundreds of quilts over the years.

Wrap a Smile warms my heart for the wonderful gift it gives kids who are scared and are going through life-changing surgery, and also because it reminds me of my dad who was such a loving man.  He would be proud of our ongoing gifts to WAS.




My dad with a quilt I made for him about a year before he died.


The quilts pictured below were all made by Tammy Simpson as part of the Sunshine collection of quilts for WAS made in memory of my dad:



This quilt commemorates my dad's years working for the railroad.


This quilt commemorates my dad's years working as a school teacher and principal.


This quilt commemorates the years my dad spent as a Methodist pastor.


This quilt commemorates the years my dad spent as a realtor.

Comments

  1. As a newer member of Sunshine, I loved reading about some of the history behind our affiliation with WAS. It's especially great to learn more about Carol's Dad. He sounds like a wonderful man and I'm sorry I never had the chance to meet him. I'm sure he'd be so proud of Carol :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

We'd love to hear from you! Please leave a comment.